Edge of Chaos

"I encourage you to come to the edge of chaos and learn with the children what life is really about." Raymond H. Hartjen

Saturday, June 23, 2012

What Would Be Your Ideal School?

***See sidebar for references.
When I heard one of the educators discuss how they were posed the question, "What would be your ideal school?" and their dreams filled the room, I had to stop the video and watch it over and over again.

This is the question that I've discussed in part with educators in jest since I've joined the ranks. However, I've posed the question to a select number of my colleagues this morning and I'm waiting for the emails to pour in.

As is stated in the video, the problem that we see is "...not with the child, but with the system." We are all trying then to bridge the gap and fix the system. The analogy that often springs to mind for me in discussions of what is wrong with the system is trying to plug a dam with your thumb. It's only going to work for so long.

The question that I would dearly love to answer then and be a part of the construction of the response is, "What would be your ideal school?" As my wish-list would be constructed unabated, I know that eventually I would have to reflect on what I would need to do to facilitate this dream.

1. Be a coach - a facilitator
2. Be a team member - think about where are we headed
3. Authentic assessment - process over content
4. Move beyond bowling alley curriculum
5. Inquiry-based learning - rather than learning about what others have already said - constructing own knowledge
6. Make a commitment to meet the needs of all learners

I was deeply impressed with how the team worked together - planning for their future, moving beyond dreams and ambitions and learned from their mistakes. Walls were moved, communication became more effective, and programming became more responsive.

If I were to take one aspect away from this video I believe it would be in regards to the curriculum. How can I take the bowling alley curriculum that does not meet the needs of learners, "Where those that will do well will do well and those that do not will fail?" How can I facilitate the learning so that the students construct their own knowledge and become more responsible and engaged in their own processes? 



No comments:

Post a Comment