Edge of Chaos

"I encourage you to come to the edge of chaos and learn with the children what life is really about." Raymond H. Hartjen

Monday, June 25, 2012

Reflecting on Curriculum in a Multiage Setting

***See sidebar for references.
What garnered my attention in the readings and introduction to this module was Marion's evolution regarding curriculum documents as "Starting Points." That would have been helpful to think about as I started my teaching career - as a combined teacher. (Yes, they really do save these jobs for the inexperienced and overwhelmed.)

Every year that I begin as a split teacher I divide myself in a Solomonesque approach. I'm in a frenzy of trying to give each group "their" content. As the year goes on and my energy level depletes I become increasingly subversive in my approach. Content that would normally "belong" to one grade level begin to creep into other areas (language arts is a particular favourite) as I try to "cover" all of the outcomes. The result? I feel guilty in my obvious failings and my students do not get to richly mine the depths of certain subjects.

I don't believe that the process of curriculum development for a multiage classroom would be entirely easier than that of a split teacher. However, with one focus I believe that the process would not be as problematic for both students and teachers. Perhaps the most difficult aspect is understanding developmental stages of development and supporting students as they progress.

Focusing on themes that are common between the grades and having a multi-disciplinary approach are not new concepts to split-grade teachers. However, as Dr. Greene points out, "Multiage classroom teachers become very adept at developing lessons with differentiated assignments that appeal to the various developmental levels in the class." This, I believe is what separates split and multiage classes. While I strive to provide different assignments that appeal to my students, I am still preoccupied by grade level delineations. Developmental levels do now know boundaries, but prescribed grade-level outcomes do.

In those moments of subversion, where my students choose topics of interest and they research and develop activities on the same, I often find my most struggling learners reach unplumbed new heights.

I think that many people get overwhelmed when they think of a multiage curriculum because they view it in its entirety; Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Health, Art. However, I'm buoyed by the Williston Central School model where teachers work closely together to strategically plan together and the content is shared. No one teacher is responsible for all subjects. To paraphrase one of the educators in the video from Williston Central, "We are not experts in every subject." 

Ultimately I believe this is what many of us struggle with as we make our way through this course. We either have had experience with split classes or not, but few of us, if any of us have had exposure to multiage classrooms. The mindset is markedly different. Where we think of outcomes and concepts learned, multiage educators are thinking of processes and development.

This is why I find many of the lesson plans that are available online in my district to be so stilted. Focusing on common themes between grade-levels will only get you so far. Space needs to be made and accounted for students development and interests.

I look forward to learning more on this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment